- Recent information on fetal programming would tell us that we do not want to short cows on protein in early to mid-gestation. The old rule of saving your best feed for the 3rd trimester is still true – but we cannot afford to ignore our cash cows for the first 2/3 of gestation either.
- If you say you are too busy harvesting, to take time to supplement you cows, you can still put out CRYSTALYX® barrels, which will provide supplemental nutrition for 2-3 weeks at a time.
- Your calves will likely benefit from being on a good mineral/trace mineral program prior to weaning. Vaccines and Shipping fever treatments work better if the calf has a good trace mineral status.
- One of the cheapest times to put weight on a spring calving cow, is in the fall after weaning. You can release more energy from lower quality forages (increased weight gain and efficiency) with just a small amount of supplemental protein from a self-fed supplement.
- Harvesting is not the only time-drain on a ranch in the fall. Weaning calves, moving cows between pastures, and other activities like guiding hunters all take much of your day. Again, properly stocked CRYSTALYX® barrels will provide supplemental nutrition 2-3 weeks at a time.
- As water sources dry up in the fall, it will be an increasing challenge to get cows to utilize standing forage in the farther reaches of a pasture. Use CRYSTALYX® barrels to lure those cows back to those underutilized pasture areas that may be far from water, or at less than friendly elevations.
- Fall calving cows usually need additional supplemental protein to breed back, and improve milk production on lower quality forages.
- Less labor, less cost, less equipment, less risk.
- More weight gain, more free time, more healthy calves.
- Windproof, waterproof, waste proof,
Do you really need more proof, or an 11th reason? Well, after the October snow storm here in Western SD/North East WY last week, an 11th reason may be the assurance that a continuously available supplement gives you should a winter storm prevent you from getting to your cows for a few days (or more). It’s there, when you can’t be.
CRYSTALYX® Brand self-fed supplements are an excellent way to maximize your returns from a supplement program that’s available 24/7, while minimizing your investment in time, labor and equipment.